Monday, August 16, 2010

It's always bittersweet

It's always bittersweet to start a new school year. I'd like to pretend that it is all mourning but that wouldn't be accurate. I am very excited to have more "me" time. Maybe that is selfish but "me" time really translates into a more balanced person who is actually better at giving more of myself. Most people probably already know this... still, I am sad knowing other people spend more time with my children than I do. And yet, I feel no compulsion to homeschool right now.

So my little girls started 1st and 3rd grade today!! It is amazing and on one hand I feel like life is flying by... on the other, I'm fine with where we are and just happy that Isabella and Elissa still like us and like to be around us :) I hear that may not last forever.

We are trying to do all we can to make life slow down some. No plans too far in advance, no commitments that are too hard to keep, nothing that will take us away from what seems to be really important: spending quality time as a family, some special time with just the two of us and loving on the grandparents whenever possible. So far so good.

So what did we do this summer? This summer we were knee deep in home renovations. Everyone says property is a good investment but sometimes it feels like an absolute sinkhole. Really things are better now but most of the summer we received one call after another about more that we needed to do or something that was falling apart. I don't think I'll think back on this summer as restful or sane. Still, the Lord taught me a lot about having greater faith. Ultimately I had to give up worrying and about that time, everything leveled out and settled down.

No comments: