Wednesday, February 9, 2011

integer - literally "untouched", hence "whole"

Integrity is a great concept. It is something I desire and admire a lot. Still, it isn't something that we get to see a lot of. I guess that might be because of a definition I once heard "Integrity is who you are when no one is looking". It isn't something we can see easily at all, but we can see it's absence. The media fills our minds with every possibility of cheating, lying, deceiving and hurting others. There really aren't many reports on someone caught being honest or someone sacrificing themselves for the good of others. I guess the best positive examples we get are the people in our communities who serve in various ways. They are real and I can say those people get my respect all day long.

So what does integrity look like as a person? Someone who is kind unconditionally? Someone who steps up to tell the truth when it needs to be told? Someone who gives a hand when there is no reward or acclaim attached? Someone you can trust to be consistent and good in their responses and actions? Someone who doesn't force their stance upon you but who you know where they stand? I'm sure there is more but these are the parts that stand out to me right now.

I'm grateful for the people I know with integrity. I hope to be one of those people in the years to come and I trust the Lord is working that out in me. Not so I can get that public pat on the back, but in my heart, I just want to be that person... consistent, good, humbly righteous, loving, unbiased, unprejudiced, whole.

No comments: